Old September 10th 17, 08:32 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Your Name[_2_]

Default Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint

On 2017-09-10 04:58:24 +0000, Chaya Eve said:
On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 18:31:41 +1200, Your Name wrote:

If you're distributing a PowerPoint document to be edited by other
people, then you're best to give them the original font files as well
(the original .zip archive, including the licence text if there is one)
for them to install.

The final solution will be different for the Mac than for Windows.

For Windows, I'll just provide the file which has the entire font set
embedded in it. This is the easiest for everyone to edit the file at will.

For the Mac, we have no choice but to provide the font file itself, and
then to have every Mac user install the font and then delete the font when
they are done with the project.
It's a pain and it's ridiculous but there is no other viable option.

Depending on the software (and user choices) Embeded fonts may or mauy
not include all the characters. Sometimes embedded fonts only include
the characters that have actually been used. If, for example, you
didn't use a lowercase z, then the emedded font may not include that z
character if someone else needs it.

On Windows the embedding is ridiculously easy, where you have the option of
no embedding, embedding of just the characters used, and embedding of all
the characters available in the font itself.

The various file sizes were perfectly reasonable and tiny in all cases:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/09/10/roadsign_3.png

These are the file sizes with and without embedding:
Powerpoint without any font embedding = 91 KB
Powerpoint with only characters used embedded = 610 KB
Powerpoint with all font characters embedded = 1793 KB

After removal, the first file reverted to a jumbled mess:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/09/10/roadsign_4.png

Even after removal, the second and third files above looked great:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/09/10/roadsign_5.png

I think we have the final solution and the project plan figured out now,
with all the technical and legal details ironed out perfectly.

Thanks for your advice.

I guess it should be pointed out that Microsoft PowerPoint is meant to
be used to create presentations / slideshows. It's not really very good
as a desktop publishing application ... although it is better than
trying to use awful Microsoft Word for desktop publishing!