Old April 21st 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default The last days of analog

On Apr 21, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 17:20:50 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Thursday, 19 April 2018 22:40:09 UTC-4, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 08:46:57 -0700 (PDT), -hh
wrote:

Worth the watch....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/landscape-photographer-races-to-finish-decades-of-work
Extraordinary colours. I wish I could do half as well.

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

I've never used 8"x 10" but I have used 4"x 5", but never in colour. I
do like using a 'technical' camera with a large image. But the colour
in the above link is extraordinary. And yet I am seeing it via sRGB.
There is a lesson in there somewhere.

While there is the undeniable resolution improvement attained with the 8” x
10” sheets, the unique color is the result of the Ilford Cibachrome paper
he uses. It is the demise of that paper, and when his stockpile is finally
depleted is when he will finally abandon his darkroom. That is the finish he
is racing against.

Savageduck