Old March 29th 08, 07:05 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
Derek

Default Waterproof D Camera - Manchester, Frankfurt or S Africa?

"Emil Tiades" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:02:37 -0000, "ME&YOU"
wrote:

I want to get a waterproof digital camera to take during some light
diving.
Maybe the Olympus Mju 790SW or the Pentax Optio W30.
We go on Monday so I don't have time to get it anywhere online so does
anyone know which is likely to be cheapest - Manchester Airport, Frankfurt
airport or in a camera shop in south Africa (Cape Town)?
Thanks

Before worrying about saving a fiver, consider "what if it breaks
later"
You can always post it back to the South African shop and pray the
saint patron of clueless shoppers...
Personally, tomorrow I would go to a camera shop/store not far from
where I live, but I am not you.

Makes sense unless ......you buy a camera at home to go on the trip of a
lifetime on the other side of the world where the camera fails.Electronic
equipment failure mainly occurs very early in ownership (or two days after
the warranty expires) .Leaving you in the hands of the patron saint of
clueless shoppers as you are nowhere close to the home dealer and royally
stuffed - pay by credit card for that bit of protection and source an
authorised dealer in SA that will supply with
worldwide warranty (olympus policy applicable since 2004 dunno about
pentax).I have compared prices at manchester ( while making deliveries) and
they dont seem a lot better than the usual suspects try
http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/ for your starter for ten- remember the
airport shops don't carry a huge stock due to the space factor but they will
get stock in to order if you give fair warning ( can't believe I put Dixons
on a customer service footing so maybe not) .
Derek