Old September 8th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

Default Multi Pro or Coolscan 8000?

I do have the same problem with the money - I really wouldnt like to
use 2700 euros for a new Nikon, or 1500 for used 8000. About 1000
euros could maybe some day be affordable . At the moment I own Canon
8400F, which can scan medium format, but the result is nowhere near to
what I get out of 35mm frames with my Konica Minolta Scan Dual IV.

I would like to know about the Minolta Multi Pro vs. Nikon.. The Dmax-
stuff? Does it have poorer, better or same ability to record
highlights and shadows? The given Dmax or D-range values of course do
not tell everything, but could give some help comparing these
scanners.
I think they both have enough resolution for most purposes, of course
would be nice if it really got every detail out of even 50 ASA slide
films. But the differences might be bigger or more important with the
dynamic?

Some comments on the earlier topics:

Grain problem: I really think at this level in equipment, the scanners
should be able to reproduce the REAL grain of film. My Scan Dual IV
at 3200 dpi can do that with most B&W negatives, at least with 100 ASA
or more. Some problems with Agfa 25 APX, because the grain is so
small. 8000 dpi should be fine to record the grain from any film, I
think.
This means, there should not be grain aliasing problem, if you use
high enough dpi when scanning. Please correct me, if I'm wrong, but I
think this problem exists only when the scanner cant record the real
grain, just the picture it produces.

If the frame has grain, I want it to scan it also. I wouldnt use any
grain removing filters, because it will change the look of the photo
(maybe by blurring it).

ICE: I think these filters only work with E-6 (etc.) slides and color
negatives, not B&W or Kodachrome films, because it work with Infra-Red
light. IR-light will not pass silver grains, that B&W negatives
(except C-41) and Kodachrome slides do have. I'm not sure if there is
some application, that does support also films with silver grain.

Generally I would say, negative films are easier to scan, than slide
films. Slide films have way higher density level, than negatives.
Velvia 50 is said to have Dmax up to 3,8 or something. Ideal B&W
negatives usually have Dmax up to 1,3 or 1,5. This should mean the
scanners would be able to record all the shadows from negative, which
will be highlights in the picture. Of course also the Dmin is
important and some scanners might have problems there also, especially
with underexposed negatives. Problems with dynamic range should anyway
be greater with slide films than negatives, at least with the Dmax.