Old March 11th 04, 02:58 PM
Bandicoot

Default Lightweight tripod head for MF

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

[SNIP]

Hmm. Thanks for the comments. Sounds as though I should probably get at
least the BH-1. (One of those buying the right tool first saves money in

the
long run sorts of things.)

I have an L-bracket for my Mamiya but it gets in the way of hand-held
operation, and getting it on and off the camera is awkward enough that I'd
not want to futz with it in the field.

My 'L'-bracket is the RRS one - very nice. But not knowing the control
layout on the Mamiya well I don't know if it would get in the way. A custom
one probably exists from either Kirk or RRS which would be designed not to,
of course.

As well as my Kirk BH-3 on a lightweight tripod I also have an Arca B1 on a
bigger 'pod. The Arca is so nice that if I was going to get a ball-head
that size anyway, I'd go for that rather than anything else. The
progressive damping on the Arca certainly improves matters when flopping the
ball.

There was a thread on the BH-1 to Arca comparison in rpe35 recently that you
might want to Google for.

Peter