Old March 10th 04, 10:31 PM
Andy Phillips

Default Lightweight tripod head for MF

Hi,

I've settled on a digital SLR and Fuji MF rangefinder as my holiday travel
kit. In the past I have taken a fairly heavy Gitzo tripod, but decided to
cut the weight by switching to a carbon fibre type. I bought the Manfrotto
440, which is very nice, but now I find need a lighter head - I put my large
168 QR ball head on it but this is so heavy that it negates the advantage of
the lightweight carbon. The only other head I have is a small Gitzo 1175
ball head, but this is probably too flimsy for the MF - and doesn't do
portrait shots on the Manfrotto.

Can anyone recommend a compromise head for the Manofrotto? I think the
recommended head is a magnesium 3D head, but I prefer balls heads. I also
would like a quick-release type.

Thanks

Andy