Old April 15th 21, 01:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default printing custom signs

On 4/13/21 11:51 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
Just asking for advice - that's all.

I would like to be able on create on demand custom text-only signs
using just the computer & printer I already have at home & appropriate
freeware on Win10 (and normal house supplies like spray paint).

I have a ton of discarded election sign blanks and their wire holders.
I don't want to spend money except for household incidentals (like tape).

Can you improve on the plan below to accomplish that goal?

The text only signs will vary in size but will all be larger than 8.5x11.
They'll be like the election signs people put in their yards.
Each week I'll change what they say.

The base is a white plastic (like those election signs) on a wire stand.
The letters will be blue spray painted on a stencil that I will print.
Since the signs are larger than printer paper - printing will be tiled.
If they can be overlapped and have cross hatches to line up that's nice.
Vector graphics aren't needed because the letters are to be cut out.
The font needs to be readable & easily cut out & easily stencil painted.
Letters are expected to be around 1 inch to 2 inches in height - maybe 3.

Here's the plan which I ask for advice to improve given the restrictions.
Editing software = almost anything will work (vector programs aren't
needed)
Font = probably a freely available road sign font (lots exist)
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* (the font may dictate the editing software)
Editing format = probably the sign will be saved as a BMP
Tiling software = probably Posterazor (maybe Rasterbator)
Printing size = 8.5x11 B&W
Sign size = probably 2 feet by about 1.5 foot (depending on the blanks)
Text color = blue (but that doesn't matter really)

That's about all I can think of for now.
I'll be composing the sign in any text editing software.
The road sign font has to work with that text editing software of course.
Then I'll save as a BMP and tile it with the tiler and print to 8.5x11.
I'll tape the stencil together and glue to a piece of cardboard.
I'll then cut out the letters and spray paint the sign.

Can you improve on the plan above to accomplish the stated goals?

I used a spreadsheet program once to print a sign that was two by three
pieces of 8.5x11" paper.
I don't remember the exact procedure, but basically I setup the
spreadsheet so that the cells were a multiple of 8.5x11. Then I pasted a
'picture' of the text into the top left cell and sized it to cover 2x3
cells.

Alternatively, is there an office supply store nearby that can print a
large format size?

--
Ken Hart