Old January 18th 21, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Photoshop CC problem(s)

On Jan 18, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 03:12:01 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 16, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 17:21:01 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

But that is only part of the problem. Why does PS insist on starting
raw files in ACR, even when I have all the options switched off?

PS cannot open RAW files on its own. PS is assisted in that task by ACR, or ACR buried in LRc.

Why does it then run so slowly?

If you are somehow trying to force feed NEF files to PS without first having them digested by ACR or LR, PS will choke.

Why are the sliders not working?

I think you are experiencing pilot error.

Do you really imagine that after all these years I do not know how to
use the editing sliders in ACR?

What is the difference between loading an image in PS and ditto in LR?

PS does not run ACR natively, LR is built with ACR as its native processing engine.

PS has been unusable since before Christmas.

I believe it is your PS that has been unusable for you. I sugest that you try to work your NEF files via round trip from LR to PS and back. Then tell us whether or not PS is still not working for you.

I don't know how to make this more clear but PS exhibits the same
problems irrespective of whether I try to load images from PS, open
with, drag and drop, and Process In from LR.

At the moment I am pondering the multitude of warnings to the effect
that "ESENT 642 - Video.UI (11500,D,2)
{2147430D-0838-490D-93CB-91829C2C9DEF}: The database format feature
version 9080 (0x2378) could not be used due to the current database
format 1568.20.0, controlled by the parameter 0x410022D8 (8920 |
JET_efvAllowHigherPersistedFormat" and similar. I do know that my
problem is associated with a high error reporting load. Quite what, if
anything, this might have to do with Intel TBMT I do not know but the
two seemed to be tied together in some fashion.

Whatever the particular (peculiar) PS issue that you are experiencing is, it is unique to your setup, and usage. It seems that none of us here have the same problem, nor are any of us able to replicate your problem.

I beg to differ. Apart from the fact that neither of us yet know what
the problem actually is, in my searches of Google I have found many
people who over the years have had troubles with PS while LR runs
smoothly.

Well, OK then.

As for you ever being able to process/edit an NEF, or any other RAW file with PS without the intervention of ACR, that is not possible.

Of course not. I have never made that claim. Obviously there has to
be a raw convertor, but I have never seen the ACR image processing
sliders. Why that should be I do not know but I would rather you
didn't imply I've been somehow just not seeing them for all the years
I have been using Photoshop.

How I read your earlier description was that you somehow managed to open an NEF without initiating ACR. Now I understand that your dropping/opening an NEF with PS does initiate ACR(plugin) for demosaicing/processing prior to the file being opened in PS for further editing.

Directly opening a RAW file is beyond the capability of PS. ACR is needed. Drop a RAW file into PS and it will open ACR, a PS plugin, and depending on what options you used you can return to ACR from the filters menu to refine the process.

Irrespective of what you may believe, I have never previously dropped
into the ACR editing window when loading images in photoshop.

OK! I believe we might have been talking at cross purposes. There are of course three ways to use ACR. As a plugin for PS, as the processing engine of LR, via Adobe Bridge.

At this point I can’t see what any of us could say, or do to explain, or fix your unique PS problem.

It would help if you were familiar with Windows.

I haven't used Windows since I retired 12 years ago, and my personal computing is Windows free. So from that position I can offer no advice on anything regarding Windows.

I have just read a suggestion that it may be my Acronis backup/etc
software which might be at the root of my problem. Lets see, but I
expect it to fight me.

Savageduck