Old June 19th 20, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default A cautionary tale about infringement of copyright in photographs- with a twist.

On 6/18/20 9:31 PM, RichA wrote:
On Thursday, 18 June 2020 06:00:52 UTC-4, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/06/...-for-bloggers/

Eric Stevens

I've never understood why I can use a quote or short passage from a copyrighted book as "fair use" and I can't cut and paste a photo where no commercial revenue is seen? However, I fully appreciate that anything that might be used for commercial purposes is under protection.

I am not a copyright attorney, nor do I play one on TV.

A "quote or short passage" from a book is a small part of the total
work. Quoting that short passage might encourage others to purchase the
entire book.

Are you cutting and pasting the entire photo, or just a "short passage"
from that photo? If you are just posting a very small portion of the
photo for the purpose of critical analysis you _might_ get away with the
fair use defense. (Please re-read my first sentence.)

--
Ken Hart