Old December 26th 12, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default short infrequent sessions and fixer waste

Joe wrote:
If I test the old film fix with a snip of film and it still clears OK,
can I feel safe that no other chemical breakdowns have happened that
might adversely impact my film? Is there any way to know if the paper
fix (different dilution) is still good and safe? I just hate this
wasted capacity and wasted expense.

You can do the old film test with paper fixer too. Change the time to
match the dilution, e.g. if you dilute film fixer 1:5 and paper fixer 1:10,
it should take twice as long to clear film in it.

Edwal and others used to make a fixer test solution, I don't know if anyone
still does.

Geoff.

"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play
chopsticks on the piano as a child and thinking you're a musician."
(sent to me by a friend)