Old April 19th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Copying 35mm slides

"Hirundo" writes:

I have a large collection of old 35mm slides, which I would like to copy
onto the hard disc of my computer.

I would appreciate advise on the best way to do this. I currently use a
Nikon Coolpix 5700.

The best way to do this is to buy a slide scanner. For a large
collection of slides, the extra cost of the Nikon Super Coolscan 5000
ED plus the SF-210 stack feeder may be worth it -- running a stack of
50 slides unsupervised can save a lot of your time.

"Old slides" also strongly suggests that a scanner with ICE is
imperative. It'll save *hours* editing out dust, scratches, and
misc. grit.

You can get okay screen-resolution results using a camera and a slide
copier, or (even harder) a light source, macro lens setting, and slide
holder. This would be much cheaper than getting a good scanner,
obviously.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/