Old August 9th 11, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete Stavrakoglou

Default The most awesome strap in the universe . . .

On 2011-08-05 21:34:32 -0700, Eric Miller
said:

Okay, so my experience with neck straps is limited due to a neck injury 10
years ago that makes the usual neck strap uncomfortable with my 5D and even
small lens. I have been using a holster case that I can strap over one
shoulder and then across my chest/back to the opposite hip. That is the
most
comfortable solution for me but it is bulky. While I can use a regular
strap
over the shoulder in the same fashion, the strap grabs my clothes and must
slide around my body in order the bring the strap up. If I don't put it
over
my head, the strap tends to fall off my shoulder. I ran across this strap
system online and immediately bought one.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/

These things have probably been around awhile, but I've just found them. It
works on my 5D perfect and even on my Olympus E-P2 pretty well. Does anyone
else use one of these?

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Yup! The Blackrapid strap is essential as far as I am concerned once the
DSLR
moves into the weighty area.
No neck pain is very good, especially if you are lugging that camera for any
length of time.

The only drawback I can see, is the inconvenience when it comes to tripod
mounting. For now, if I plan Tripod use I have a quick release plate handy
replace the Blackrapid fitting.

Savageduck

Another drawback I see is in using a grip - the mounting hardware of the
strap
make it uncomfortable to hold your hand on the grip when holding the camera
in
"portrait" mode. A cure for this is to mount the strap to the camera eyelet
using a split O-ring.

I use the Blackrapid strap with my D300s + MB-D10 and shooting in "portrait"
orientation is not an issue for me, and isn't at all uncomfortable. That said
I do have big ham hands.

"Big Ham Hands"? LOL. I don't have large hands so perhaps that's why it feels
cumbersome in my hands.

I don't believe using a single camera eyelet to support the weight of camera
and grip is a great idea. A single point bearing that 5.5-6.5 Lb load
(depending on lens) is more likely to fail. Those eyelets are meant to share
the load.

That's why I use the Op/Tech Sling Strap. It mounts to the camera eyelet and
the grip eyelet. Since this is not a perfect setup, there are drawbacks. when
shooting in portrait orientation, the strap can get in your way but it is easy
to disconnect one or both of the connections. When I find the strap interfering
when shooting in portrait orientation, I just unsnap the buckle on the end that
attaches to the grip. The cost of the Op/Tech is reasonable too, about $ 20.00.

Also when using a fat lens such as the 70-200mm f/2.8 the Blackrapid strap
attached to the lens makes carrying that camera lens combo a bit safer, when
using it hand held.

With an R-Strap, I would carry my 70-200mm lens on my camera with the strap
mounted to the lens. I wouldn't let it just hang by my side, I would always
keep a hand on it, but that's just me.

Savageduck