Old October 11th 18, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

In article , MC
wrote:

unfortunately, windows update is poorly implemented, often occurring
at the worst possible time.

I never know when mine is updating until I go to shut down. I then see
the "Update and Shut down" rather than just "Shut down" on the Start
menu. Then when I reboot next day it just goes into "Configuring
windows" for a couple of minutes and straight back to desktop. No
fuss, no bother, painless and straightforward. I see no problem
whatsoever and certainly no "worse possible time".

then you're the exception, or just in denial.

there are *****loads* of examples and it's one of the biggest
complaints about win10.

windows update is broken. it's that simple.

https://twitter.com/baratunde/status/10541091
lost 90mins of work. wish to destroy microsoft. it did a windows
update. asked me if i wanted to restart now/later. i chose lata. it
ignored

https://twitter.com/Lydricsama/status/792697513060995073
Automatic Windows update restarted my PC and I lost hours of work in
a commission. I want to ****ing die.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...s_10_restarted
_while_i_was_in_the_middle_of/
Soo... yeah. I have it scheduled to "notify to schedule restart" but
the option to choose a new time was greyed out, so I couldn't
reschedule it. I saw it coming, and spent a few hours fighting with
the OS, but in the end, I lost the fight. Is there any way I can
prevent this from happening again?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...s_10_home_how_
do_i_prevent_update_reboots/
Virtualbox VMs and Notepads may be open with unsaved data in them.
This is non-negotiable.
Windows 10 periodically kills these applications without respecting
the unsaved data in them.
How do I force windows 10 to never do this? I don't mind windows 10
restarting if there is no unsaved data. But unsaved data in an
application should never ever ever be lost.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/..._10-update-win
pc/my-work-lost-after-window-10-nightly-restart-for/e55c0399-5fad-4e64-b
3c4-301838a1d5f6
My work lost after Window 10 nightly restart for update even when
disabled in group policy

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/..._10-update-win
pc/windows-update-interrupting-games-on-windows-10/e983d3f3-8196-428d-b3
5a-3a599672e16d
So, when I am playing a game, occasionally Windows 10 will
force-minimize my game(and any other windows I'm using) without
warning to tell me to schedule the install of downloaded updates.*
This is very very bad for gaming, especially multiplayer games.

one of the best was *during* a weather report (she handled it well):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMPeTrHNX1U

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-...ates-auto-rest
arts-are-the-worst/
Commentary: The worst feature of Windows 10 is automatic updates --
even when you're in the middle of something.
There's software developer Dylan Beattie, whose laptop decided to
shut down while he was giving a talk in front of 200-odd developers
in Malmo, Sweden, and found he had to wing the rest of the
presentation without his slides. "I wasn't terribly happy," recalls
Beattie, adding that he now has a habit of explicitly running Windows
Update a few hours before his presentations "just to make sure it's
not going to spring any surprises."

Alex Gibson, a 3D printing consultant, says he no longer trusts
Windows to manage his 3D printer after his computer forced a restart
near the end of a 6-hour-long print job for a customer in November.
He tells me he's switching to a Raspberry Pi.
Then there's Alexandria Seabrook, who says she couldn't complete the
online test for a college course this October because of Windows 10
updates -- and whose professor wasn't quite as forgiving as Gibson's
and Lyricsama's customers. Busy with midterms, she waited until
nearly the last minute before flipping open her Windows 10 computer
-- only to watch Windows Update take control of her machine until
well after the deadline had passed.

"It was only 20 questions. I could have finished the test on time if
it wasn't for the Windows Update," she tells me. She got a 58 on the
midterm, and was barely able to bring it up to a C by the end of the
semester. "I don't like [Windows], but I'm a college student," she
says. "I'm stuck with this laptop literally until it breaks down
because I have no money."
And while the next version of Windows will let you stave off updates
for a 35-day period (if you paid extra for a Pro, Enterprise or
Education-grade copy of Windows, which sounds like a moderate form of
blackmail), my understanding is that even those versions won't let
you cancel an update that's already been delayed and is now about to
occur.