Old January 24th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Viewing images from CD-R or DVD-R

In article .com,
"Pig Ignorant" wrote:

Hi

Apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to find
what I want from searching in Google groups or the web.

I have lots of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs containing my own photos (holidays
etc.), and I want to be able to view them from the CD/DVD without
having to copy them onto my HDD. Ideally I'd like to be able to view
them as a slide show, i.e. have the software read the images from the
CD/DVD one at a time and display for a few seconds, then move on to the
next.

I was told Irfanview did this, but it just seems to allow you to make a
slide show by copying the files onto your HDD first.

I don't want to create a slide show on a VCD or DVD that can be viewed
in a DVD player, and I don't want to have to put self-contained slide
show viewer software onto each CD/DVD. I already have lots of CD-Rs and
DVD-Rs which just have data on (image files). I simply want some
software on my PC that will run a slide show from the images on the
data CD-R or DVD-R.

I believe ACDSee does this but this seems to have lots of other
features I don't want. I wondered if there was a cheap or free software
utility that will do what I want?

Have you considered the iPod Video? While you do need a computer at the
beginning, once you have shifted a number of sets to the playlist, you
can view it easily, albeit on a SMALL screen, the potential to combine
it with iPod Video, you "should" end up with a much more controllable
slideshow and better picture.

How often will you use your slideshows?