Old May 20th 04, 08:14 PM
Any Moose Poster

Default OT but still photography

In article ,
"MikeWhy" wrote:

It's really no contest, Stacey. There's a reason why wet labs are all
switching to digital. You can't beat it for spotting, color corrections, and
tone mainipulations, let alone compositing and other garbage effects. The
valid reason for concern is longevity, although even RA3 and 'Chromes are
notoriously short lived. Even that isn't worthy of debate; we only have to
wait ten years to see for ourselves.

RA4? What the hell is RA3? Chromes? Like Ciba? or E6? WTF are you spewing.
I can understand the spoting part, but the sharpness is relative and usually
a wet print, imaged optically wins,.....(this comming from alot printing experience
- 22 years)

All that used darkroom equipment is coming from somewhere, and it's not
Uncle Joe deciding to finally clean out his garage.

Alot of it is coming from semi pro; meets the ultra fast processing world of
less than resolute,.... stay alive in the world of competive photo business.

Wet labs are going digital, or going under. I picked up an Omega D5 for next to nothing. Only
hobbyists have the time to make wet prints these days.

Most good "wetlabs" retain the old and buy into the new..
My lab one of the biggest in Balt, does both. Maybe that will have to change
but the same papers are used for both,.......the issue I see happening will be where
to get chemistry,...not paper.