Old January 20th 05, 09:08 AM
Ryadia

Alan Browne wrote:

50mm is a bit wide for closeup portraits.

snipped

The perspective will be correct, there will be no
distortion. DOF will not be as shallow as you might like.

Snipped here too

Unbelievable...
The first day back on the job and here is Alan Browne stating that
"perspective will be correct" in the discussion of a defined focal
length lens after going on and on and on about perspective having
nothing to do with focal length in relation to a portrait...

As I Shake my head in wonderment.

According to the theory argued by Alan a few weeks ago, the focal length
of a lens has nothing to do with perspective. Now he's saying by using a
50mm lens and moving the camera, you can alter the perspective.

Any chance of consistency, Alan? If you're going to rant at me for
saying you get a better perspective with an 80 or 100 mm lens than you
do with a 50mm one, how about not arguing I'm wrong and then saying the
same thing yourself a few weeks later? Maybe you read some of the text
books I pointed to on the subject and changed your mind without telling
anyone?

Doug