Old September 4th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default GIMP

Troy Piggins wrote:

For me to pick up PS now and try to re-learn photo-editing would
be unproductive /for/ /me/. I know GIMP well enough now to do
pretty much everything I want or need to do. Why would I go
backwards?

Of course, if you already know PS you will be able to use its
tools productively.

Again, I have to re-iterate. Every once in a while (12 - 18 months) I
DL gimp to perform a very straightforward series of operations on an
image. These are SO straightforward as to not require much time in
learning anything. And no there were no 'other' ways to do these
things. See the list of operations...

And yet, even for that, it takes more movements of the mouse, more
clicks than PS and as said many times, the most critical step before
saving the print version: the USM is very awkward to use as file sizes
get larger.

Again: a very straightforward set of steps (see earlier post for
description).

If these somewhat simple steps take, let's say 20% more moves and
clicks, then what will happen in more advanced work. Will it get easier
and simpler... somehow I don't think so.

(And by the way, I have printed results from gimp at 8x12. I mean the
work was done, so why not... [that goes back a few versions at that...]).

The OP wanted opinions on GIMP.

He got mine: Don't w/o trying Elements (for free) too.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.