Old August 12th 04, 03:41 PM
Bill Hilton

Default printer recommendation - for wide prints

From: JC Dill

I would like to buy something that can do large format prints. The
Epson can print up to 13 inches wide and I bought 2 boxes of 13x19
glossy and watercolor paper to print for a portrait customer and I was
quite happy with the results, so I'm looking for something of similar
use and quality. What are the Canon and HP equivalents to the Epson for
this purpose?

HP doesn't offer anything in this size, Canon has a good one roughly equivalent
to the 1280 (similar print quality and longevity, much faster prints though).
If you're selling prints the Epson 2200 is probably the best bet since the
prints last a long time, and the Premium Luster is an excellent portrait paper.
The two negatives about this printer are that it doesn't do as well on glossy
paper and that it's more expensive, but the pigment inks make it worth it to
many of us.

I have heard that this (clogging) is a common problems with Epson printers,
so unless I
hear that it isn't a know problem with the 1280 I'm inclined to get a
non-Epson that can better take being left idle without risk of clogging up.

The earlier Epsons had this problem more than the newer ones. I have a 1280,
which has air bubbles once a week or so, and a 2200, which has them once in
three months, if that.

Here's a well-written overview of all three 13x19" printers currently
available. They sell all three models so don't have a dog in the fight so to
speak.

http://www.inkjetart.com/news/archive/IJN_04-18-04.html scroll down to "Q:
What are my choices for 13" wide photo inkjet printers, and which is best?"

I'd get the 2200 if I were in your shoes, since you're selling prints.

Bill