Old September 30th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)

Default Sharpest Canon 1.6 crop lens

"jean" wrote in message

a écrit dans le message de
Ok forget build quality...forget focus luxuries...forget super wide open

apertures.

What is the best IQ standard zoom when stopped down from between f8 to

f16. This includes edge to edge sharpness, contrast and colour. The best
image blown up to large print size. This is all regardless of available
light and wether it's hand held or not. In fact lets say it's on a tripod
be sure.

Not super wide but lenses that could be regarded as walk arounds.

Lets add bang for buck marks as well.

And the contenders are (in no specific order):

1. Canon 17-85 IS
2. Canon 17-40 L

I have a Canon 17-40 L and it is sharp as a tack, it is my stay on the
camera lens. I have samples of the 17-85IS and it is nowhere near as
sharp.

now, now...you're overreacting just a bit, don't you?
It's not like biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference as you say.
It is, sure. But not THAT big.
but then again, comparing the two would be unfair, since only one is L