Old April 1st 05, 08:42 AM
Ken Tough

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:
I have read that some beheaded people were conscious for up to 8
seconds. NOt sure how this was determined. Don't want to think much
about it.

In the case of guillotine executions, they simply observed the person's
head. He couldn't speak, but he turn his eyes to look at someone
speaking to him.

That doesn't necessarily imply consciousness. The same works with
people dreaming in REM sleep, though their eyelids are closed.
I don't think 18th century medical research on consciousness is
going to be all that reliable. I'll grant that brain activity
won't stop instantly, but doubt it involves consciousness.

--
Ken Tough