Old August 4th 15, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

Default some photos from the army...

"Tzortzakakis Dimitris" wrote in message
On 1/8/2015 9:16 πμ, Rich A wrote:
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 1:21:24 PM UTC-4, Tzortzakakis Dimitris
wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjoje6dnb1...T0030.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8f4pfhx84...T0034.JPG?dl=0
I recently got an 135 film&slide scanner from the online greek
e-shop, a
german Rollei for 60 euros (it's being made in China goes without
saying)and here are some army photos taken with a disposable camera,
the
first one is me in front of the infamous G 127 armored fighting
vehicle
"leonidas" which is being made in Greece, with full armour, G3A4
rifle
etc.The other is again me,with my all-time favourite, the MG3
machine
gun. Oh, BTW the G 127 main armament is the .50 BMG, with API tracer
ammo.The photos were taken with a disposable camera, because my main
camera then (The Nikon FM-2) was envied by a sergeant, and I
couldn't
carry that thing around in war games etc.while the disposable would
nicely fit in my pants pocket and if I lost it or it was stolen no
damage done. I didn't know then that in a couple of years its worth
would be less than 10 euros.Snif. BTW, also all service rifles are
also
greek construction, we bought the blueprints from Heckler & Koch
(which
is the original german manufacturer) and they were forged in Greece.

Interesting scans. Greece has something like 400 of those armoured
vehicles. It would be time-consuming to deploy them far afield so
I'm thinking that they anticipated perhaps using them close to home?

Greece has a defensive doctrine, Rich so at least where I served in
Rhodes we were to deploy them only if there was an attack by Turkey.My
battalion had 33 of them, 11 for each of the 3 companies. We has also
the support and the administration company, with many other weapons
(Milan-basically a wire-guided missile with an anti-tank
warhead-HEAT-HighExplosiveAntiTank), bazookas, fagot anti tank missile
and so on.BTW, Rhodes is quite a big island exactly opposite Turkey
with excellent beaches, very clean, good roads, very hospitable
inhabitants. when I was there i visited the turkish mosque which was
in the turkish cemetery.

My father is from Lesvos, not far from Turkey either as you know. He
left when he was 18 but his brother is still there. He had been
"reactivated" into the military a few times when trouble brewed between
Turkey and Greece. I don't think that's happened in quite some time,
thankfully. BTW, in that second shot I had to do a double-take as at
first glance I thought I was looking at my cousin. You look similar to
him in that photo.