Old March 15th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Film Lover's Lament

It may be that we'll have to mail our film out, or will have only a
handful of local outlets that will
handle it over-the-counter. But that is years down the road.

Actually, this is exactly the situation I've been in for the past five
years. It isn't a problem.

"Jeremy" wrote in message
newsaXRf.11561$Km6.8735@trnddc01...
"Summer Wind" wrote in message news:a4MRf.53999

I'm a little afraid to get a digital SLR because I might be smitten by

the
convenience.

Digital may or may not be more convenient than film. It is not a given.

There may be times that one does not want to edit hundreds of vacation
photos, or to worry about having enough memory to store all those shots
while away from home. And my film SLRS have no battery problems--my
batteries are good for 10,000 exposures or one year. Not so with my
digicam.

And sometimes it is just easier to drop the film off at the photofinisher
and let them do all the work. One can always scan and edit the important
shots later.

There are millions of good film cameras in circulation, and even if new
production halted entirely, it would be decades before all the cameras
currently in circulation had reached the end of their service lives.

Of course, film will probably become a commodity, and be made in China. I
don't think that Kodak will want to produce it in America and pay US wages
and benefits.

Where I think we will experience some dissatisfaction is with the decline

of
photofinishers. I suspect that lots of retail outlets will get rid of
one-hour or overnight film processing, so they can make better use of the
floor space to sell more profitable items. It may be that we'll have to