Old February 27th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default FYI Rawshooter Essentials 2006 available

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article xtrMf.1715$Uc2.375@fed1read04, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest
even number says...

I've since upgraded to the Premium version,

How does the Premium version compare with the CS2 RAW converter?

Hi Alfred,

overall, the same result can be achieved in both programmes. I find it
easier and quicker to get the best result in RSP. What I mean by that is
this: I did an experiment; I opened a RAW file and processed it in RSP.
Saved the file as a tiff. Opened the same RAW file in ACR and processed
it and saved as a tiff. I then compared the 2 images. The image from RSP
was noticeably better in terms of colour and contrast. However, having
seen the results, I returned to PS and using ACR I opened the image in
its previous worked on state and adjusted it to get the same result as RSP.

My conclusion was that with nothing to compare to, and working the image
in each programme to what "seemed to be" the best result, RSP gave me
the better result. This is a consistent conclusion I have found on many
occasions. The fact that ACR could produce exactly the same result with
something to aim at, obviously the 2 converters are equally 'capable'.

I actually did this experiment using 3 RAW converters, the third one
being Canon's Digital Photo Professional. In previous similar
experiments DPP usually came first. In this instance it came in between
RSP and ACR. So I think the bottom line is, these programmes are equally
capable and you may take to one more than another in terms of ease of
use/speed of use. Excellent results can be achieved by all.

Just to give you an idea of what controls are included in RSP, here is a
list of them reading straight off the user interface:

CORRECT TAB:
Color Temperature
Tint
Appearance (color styles)
Exposure Compensation
Fill Light
Shadow Contrast
Highlight Contrast
Sharpness
Detail Extraction
Noise Suppression
Color Noise Suppression
Hot Pixel/Pattern Noise Suppression
Tone Curve (with eyedroppers) and Levels controls at base of tone curve
(there are also some tone curve presets)
Saturation
Hue
Vibrance
Color Balance
Plus: hold CTRL key down to highlight overexposed areas (red) and
underexposed areas (blue) on image

BATCH CONVERT TAB:
Camera Profile (color profile for your camera)
RGB Working Space
Format and bit depth
Quality
Metadata (on or off)
Size/Units/Resolution to output file in
Sharpening (tick if required)
Output Location (choose)
Automatically open converted file in: (choose program)

They are the main controls. Obviously there are lots of extra features
like rating files, slide show, batch converting/applying recipe to
selected files or all files, etc.

Best regards,
Brian.