Old May 19th 12, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Default [SI] 1 week to go on Macro/Closeups

On 2012-05-19 10:28 , tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 10:20:33 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2012-05-18 22:25 , tony cooper wrote:

300 kB max file size
1200 pixels wide (MAX)
800 pixels high (MAX)

I assume you mean 1200 pixels x 800 pixels (max) or 800 pixels x 1200
pixels (max). A portrait 800 x 1200 image (which I will be
submitting) breaks your rule.

The intent of the rule was not to provide 800x1200 in either
orientation, but that the photo fit the browser screen and so at 100%
sizing to avoid pbase's less than perfect re-sizing algorithm.

Most monitors are laid out at about 1000 - 1200 vertical pixels. Few
monitors are higher than 1200 pixels amongst most users - and that does
not account for the browser and bpase window which takes away more.

As with your past vertical 1200's I won't reject such an image,

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/142127910/original

but nor will I resize it. If it looks like crap on screen because it
can't be seen in entirety that's your problem.

When my images look like crap on screen, it's not because they are
sized incorrectly. The crap effect enters somewhere between pushing
that silver button on the top of the camera and pushing the "enter"
key that sends the image flying away to you or the current host of SI.

Self-deprecating statements aside, you produce nice photos and it's a
shame if they're not optimally shown.

Robert Coe stated it most succinctly.

--
"A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds."
-Samuel Clemens.