Old November 11th 04, 11:14 PM
Fernando

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:32:02 GMT, "Diluted"
wrote:

medium format camera
120 film scanner

I second this.
Mo

digital cons:

- 1 year warranty: I work with computers, and I really don't trust a
digital device that's not warrantied for more than one year.

Well, it depends from the camera (there are a high number of different
8mp digital cameras, from small compact all-in-one digicams to hi-end
digital reflex ("DSLR") like the Canon 1D-mkII, or medium-range
digital reflex like the Canon 20D).
You can bet a 1D-mkII (a camera built like a tank, with a shutter
designed for at least 150'000 actuations) will last more than 1 year.
:-)
Here in EU, digital cameras have 2 years of warranty. But they are the
same than in the USA. :-)

- low quality images?: I've tried to find authoritative informatino on
grain vs. pixels, but stuff is all over the map.

I have a 6mp digital reflex (Canon 10D), a bunch of all-in-one
digicams, plus 35mm and MF film gear of various kind (and 3 scanners).
I used all those stuff for work for some time, and now mostly for
hobby. I know how to make them work.
Now, please have a look he

This is *35mm* vs. 6mp DSLR.
I know, it's a synthetic benchmark, but I think it's food for thought,
at least.

These large digital
prints
I saw at the photo shop were very impressive, though.

You should see the 20"x25" digital print hanging from my wall,
obtained by a 645 slide (scanned by myself with a medium format
filmscanner). Loads of tiny details even when examined from 2 inches,
and magnificient tonal range. Now *that's* impressive. :-)

- No cost for picture taking: I can blow 1000 photos a day and not pay for
any developing or printing.

Spare rechargeable batteries, memory cards, memory card readers, spare
battery charger, sensor cleaning kits, ... you name it.

Medium format pros:

- Higher quality lenses: lenses would be better *I guess* for a MF system.

- Value Retention. The MF cameras would hold value for a long time, while

I won't bet on it. Many MF gear loosed value like nothing else during
the last two years. Many people is switching to digital for various
reasons, and some MF mfgers are running out of business, and leaving
MF scenes (Bronica, Fuji).
I'd even suggest to go for 2nd hand MF gear. Much less expensive, and
as you guessed, much of this stuff is built to last. Hardly weared off
after many years (I still use a lot a '86 Pentax 645).

digital camera would wuickly degrade in value.

That's sure. Digital technology is running very fast. Standards come,
standards go. New models supercede last year's models, in a fast-paced
game.

- Digital backs: do they make digital backs?

Yes. Not exactly cheap. :-)
A really good digital back is in the $15'000-$20'000 area (was $30'000
not long ago, but the introduction of two digital monsters like the
Canon 1Ds-mkII and Mamiya ZD, at around $9'000 and $15'000 price tag,
suggested a dramatic price cut), though you could find older ones for
half that price.

MF cons:

- Film , printing and developing.

If you buy a medium format filmscanner, you just have to shoot slides
and have them processed. Than you handle your files to a good
Lightjet-equipped digital printing lab, and you're OK. Large digital
prints costs so much less than large Cibachromes. :-)
Of course you'll have to really learn Photoshop or whatever. But
you'll have to do that even if you buy a digital camera. :-)

Fernando