Old June 9th 18, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default What exactly is different inside a lens in Macro mode?

On 2018-06-08 07:09, Sammy wrote:
What exactly is different about a lens in Macro mode? Does the lens alter
its optics in some way to focus more closely?

My Galaxy S7 lens doesn't seem to have enough space inside to shift any
elements in a different way. Although my point and shoot has a lens which
comes forward and is made of 6 elements in 5 groups. How do these cameras
provide Macro mode?

First off, in the phone, the sensor is so small, that the lens to sensor
distance doesn't have to be huge to provide near macro.

If a camera can provide close up macro focusing then why isn't it provided
as part of Normal mode?

The main issue with good macro lenses is relatively simple optics that
mechanically move far away from the film plane/sensor. This is why very
good lenses can be had in the 80 - 120 mm range that are extensible for
fine macro performance.

With AF lenses, in the so called normal range, the mechanical movement
for infinity down to close (but not macro) range is not all that much.
Once you get close in to macro then the mechanical focus range gets very
large. So AF is a PITA - why many Macro lenses have AF limiting
switches to hold AF in the macro range or outside the macro range.

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."