Old August 5th 04, 07:30 PM
Justin F. Knotzke

Default Ghosting Problem

quote who= Bill Tuthill /:

Is that the effect you were trying to achieve?

Sadly, no. Thus the reason I made the post with the ghosting question.

Another thing you could try is HSS (high speed sync) or FP as it is
sometimes called. Using a somewhat higher shutter speed, follow the
racers and get a blurred background to convey the impression of speed.

Right:

http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/Lachin...brando4?full=1

That's without a flash. I am trying to get the same blur/pan effect but
with fill flash to get their faces lit. In the above shot, I was very lucky to
get the glow of light. I don't get that very often and even less so that it's
getting darker.. So I like to use a bit of flash to fill in the shadows and
give me some contrast.

I am trying to mimic:

http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin.../image9?full=1

That's about the effect I am going for. As you can see by that shot, the
background are cars and not sky. I didn't realize that my problem in the
original shot:
http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin...image13?full=1 was the sky
until Alan and others so kindly pointed it out to me. I hopefully won't make
the same mistake again..

Same corner: http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin...7_2004/image12
but with the rider just in front of the trees..

Anyhow, thanks to all who have replied.

If I can, I will try and get a darker background. If not, I will expose
for the background, close the aperture by 1-2 stops and increase flash by 1.5
stops. I'll probably darken out some buildings and backgrounds but my subjects
should come out better and not look like Casper's cousins.

Justin F. Knotzke

http://www.shampoo.ca