Old July 31st 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default Building a small silver recovery unit

"Pieter Litchfield" wrote
I don't know how small a unit you want. I produce only about a gallon of
spent fixer per month, and I bought a complete inexpensive precipitator
from Porters camera
http://porters.com/Merchant2/merchan... ory_Code=D1H).

Looks good. The yeild number is a bit deceptive: "30-50
oz of silver/year if you use as little as a gallon of
fix/month".

1 gallon of fix does ~200 8x10's. 50 weeks of 200 =
10,000 8x10's / year to get 50 oz of silver. $550
from $4,000 of paper at $11/oz for silver. Refining
costs are ???, the local scrap dealer gives about 0.10
on the dollar for metal of unknown purity.

Steel wool in a bucket works if all you want to do is
keep the silver from going into the drains.

From the above 100 8x10's [an amount I can get my
head around] produces 0.5 oz of silver.

All numbers +/- an order of 2.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer: Electronics, Photonics, Informatics.