Old March 14th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Film Lover's Lament

Summer Wind wrote:
I was shooting at the art museum with my Yashica-Mat 124G Sunday and it
caught the eye of a professional photographer. She shoots mostly digital
professionally but still loves film and uses it for personal projects, using
her TLRs and 4x5 view cameras. We both agreed that having a negative,
rather than a digital file, gives one a feeling of security.

I just saw this article from 03-02-06 today. Are any of you doing the
"panic buying" of film cameras that's going on in Japan, as mentioned in the
article? I'm considering picking up a couple of P&S models from Adorama
while I can still get them, including a Olympus Stylus Epic. The photo mags
have almost no ads for film Point & Shoot cameras. I'm worried about the
availibility of film in a few years, but I hope it's a needless worry.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...065452,00.html

. . . . . . . .

I think the situation in Japan is something that would be hard to apply
to the rest of the world. Trends in Japan are often not the same as in
other areas. You might find EBAY film camera sales are quite healthy,
though they seem to come in waves of gear . . . so stuff is easier to
find that others.

Apparently new large format gear is selling well in some locations. I
think the film P&S market has really dropped, so many retailers probably
don't want them on their shelves.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio