Old November 2nd 05, 08:52 PM
Bucky

Default Personal boycot of Lithium Ion batteries

SimonLW wrote:
The Lio-ion in my Dell notebook (only 2 years old) now only runs it for
10-15 minutes. About $200 to get a new one.

Sounds like your real issue is with all rechargeable batteries. NiMH
and NiCad only last about 2 years as well. Li-ion batts are more
compact (higher enery density) than NiMH and NiCad, so that's why
they're more expensive.

From this point on, I'm going
with cameras that will take AA, or have the AA option in the vertical hand
grip (DSLRs).

That's fine if you use larger cameras. The compacts are not going to
use AAs because they're too large. I've used a camera with 2 AA NiMH,
and they run out very quickly. You're going to have to carry at least 2
extra sets of spares. But if you're willing to save on cost to carry
more, then fine.

Well that's my rant. Perhaps Lithium longevity will improve.

BTW, never say "lithium" when you mean "lithium ion". Lithium batteries
are another type (non-rechargeable).