Old October 19th 09, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_31_]

Default Focus Stacking

* Paul Furman wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 11 lines snipped |=---]
test was really awful!

I've had pretty bad results stacking too. Many artefacts all
over the place. Pretty sure even Brian has to clone these out a
fair bit. Can you post examples?

I did 12 frames at 9:1 with about 0.5mm movement and realized that was
grossly inadequate. Then I did another 60-frame sequence and got an
error. That was at about 1:1 and about 0.1mm increment.

Here's one at 12:1 with 7 frames, which is not bad, maybe 0.2mm movements:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7622495553541/

Pretty sure those artefacts or weirdness going on the right hand
side there are from frames not overlapping enough and/or the
software having trouble picking up alignment points. More
overlap the better. Like panos, the more overlap the smoother
the merge.

http://zerenesystems.com/stacker/ Used to be free, but looks
like it's shareware or something now. Heard good things about
it.

Thanks, I'll give it a peek & report back.

This focus stacking is something that's been on my to-do list for
18 months, just haven't had the time or patience to give it a
real chance. You may just be inspiring me enough

--
Troy Piggins