Old June 16th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default A newbie request help selecting digital camera

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 19:50:43 GMT, nick c wrote:

I found all this very interesting. After reading this post several
times, I have to say it's a great post. It's well written and may be
very helpful to anyone who may be interested in having two systems.

Agreed. I archive only a small number of newsgroup posts, and
they're most often the ones that are either interesting or contain
useful information. That's why I saved his (your son's) and more
recently yours.

When I was active, I used 35 mm cameras, 2-1/4 cameras and Speed
Graphic (sheet film 5x7 and 8x10) cameras, all at the same sequence of
time so I think nothing of someone being happy using two systems. By
all appearances it does sound like something I would write but
unfortunately it wasn't from me. Upon further investigation I found it
was written by my son, Alex, using one of my laptop computers, which
he borrowed while his was being repaired. Since he visits me often, he
may have written it while he was visiting me. I have several laptop
computers 'cause the damn things seem to always need maintenance and
are often in the repair shop. A pox be on whoever opened Pandora's
computer box.

Alex originally bought into Canon because I had bought into Canon.
While he was, and I think still is, satisfied with keeping Canon,
wasn't. I won't keep what I'm not comfortable with. I changed back to
Nikon. This morning when I called him to inquire about this post, I
find he's still using the two systems and seems to be content. I
noticed this post is signed Nick. That momentarily puzzled me 'cause I
don't usually sign my posts. Perhaps Alex thought I was a regular
poster in this group 'cause I've often referred this group to him and
signing my name, to him, while using my computer may have seemed
proper. I neglected to ask him about that. Anyway, AFAIC, I really
don't care to know. Shrug. Alex is not into news groups, he's much too
busy in the world of finance to become attached to news groups. Now,
as for me, I like to lurk and at times, I fire up one of my Ser Jacopo
pipes and take a bottle of Port and one of my laptops outside and sit
in the shade of the patio and play with my laptop while watching the
grass grow. Now, that's interesting.

No pipes for me, but maybe a bit of port . . .

Have to ask, did the post, in your opinion, contain information that
was not correct or informative? If there's beef in this hamburger, I
can't find it. I'll tell Alex not to upset the net police again. I
don't think he meant to do anyone harm.

No, nothing incorrect. The replies (both of them) were
interesting and informative. Alex did no harm, needs no warnings,
and I certainly wasn't trying to be a net cop. I you look a little
closer at my previous post, I was only trying to understand an
apparent discrepancy between the two posts, which you didn't have to
answer, but you cleared it up nicely. Thanks.

I don't understand the "beef" reference. I'd have thought that
most people would *want* beef in their hamburgers. At least Clara
Peller, the "Where's the beef?" lady in the Wendy's commercials did!

I'm 100% Nikon. I even bought my wife the D60 kit and she loves it.
Oh,well ... what the hell, she leaves it on "P" and doesn't care to go
any further. I guess I don't really care how she uses her camera.
Whatever makes her happy tickles me half to death. Besides that, when
she's content she tends not to futz around with my toys.

She might like Nikon's little P6000. True, it can't do everything
a DSLR can do, but it takes some very nice pictures, has all of the
manual controls of Nikon's DSLRs, works with Nikon's Speedlights, is
much more silent in operation, easier to carry and even has a
built-in GPS receiver, so she'd later be able to say "We were at
these coordinates when we realized that we were lost."