Old December 19th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Cavendish

Default 2 questions about digital cameras

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:37:29 -0800, SMS wrote:

Neil Jones wrote:

I love SLRs (still have the Nikon Film SLR) but would try to avoid them
as an amateur photographer. They get more and more expensive with the
lenses and other supporting equipment. The worst part of DSLR cameras
is that they are NOT convenient for vacation travels. A good P&S is
great for travel. However you (atleast me) do want almost SLR like
features. This is where I am fitting into the camera landscape.

Depends on the vacation. I take my D-SLR on some vacations. Yeah, it's
not as convenient as the P&S but some vacations are better enjoyed with
the capabilities of a D-SLR (i.e. Alaska, trips to national parks). By
the time you've loaded up your day pack with two liters of water, lunch,
etc., the added weight and bulk of a D-SLR is lost in the noise.
Remember, you don't have to take every lens you own, one or two lenses
is sufficient.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a stretch for someone that's never left his mommy's basement.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"SLR-Like" is really misleading. Does that mean interchangeable lenses?
Then only the Panasonic Lumix G1 qualifies. Does it mean no AF lag? Then
no P&S qualifies. Does it mean wide dynamic range? Then no P&S
qualifies. Does it mean good wide angle and telephoto capability with
quality glass? Then no P&S qualifies.

What you should do is to buy the smallest D-SLR, the Olympus E-420. It's
not much larger than a super-zoom (smaller in some cases) and will
perform far, far better.
"http://reviews.photographyreview.com/files/2008/05/olympus_e-420_inhand.jpg"

The battery life is another thing that is very important for me as well.
I have ruled out Canon Powershot SX10 IS, since they take AA batteries
(but recommend NiMH).

Yes, it's really too bad that Canon cheaped out in that way. Yet AA
batteries aren't as bad as they were in the past with the advent of
Eneloop cells with low self-discharge.