Old March 10th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default How big a laptop screen?

Mike wrote:
wrote:
I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
do reasonable photo work?

The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.

I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
heh.)

Recommendations? Thanks.

JJ

I also use a ThinkPad with a 15.4" screen. I generally like BIG
screens, but I think that anything much larger will be a problem in some
environments. Even my 15.4 screen sometimes causes a problem when
seated in airliners (unless you fly up in first class). And if the guy
in front of you puts his seat back... it's all over. For my use, I want
at least 15" (1600 x 1200 resolution) but anything beyond 15.4 is
probably not worth the additional problems.
Mike

I really think that the new widescreen laptops are partly in answer to
the problem you mentioned when flying. My 15.4 screen becomes a real
problem in coach. Of course, if you are one of those with a 32 inch
waist, it might not be quite as bad....
I end up having to tilt the keyboard up onto my chest in order to be
able to see the screen, which makes entering data a bit difficult....