Old May 6th 12, 04:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert Coe

Default [SI] Runoff vote for next mandate

On Sat, 5 May 2012 16:29:55 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:
: On 2012-05-05 16:00:48 -0700, tony cooper said:
: But, I'm losing interest. It was fun when several people commented on
: all of the shots and you got to see what other people saw and thought
: about your photo. Now, the thread dies after the results are posted.
:
: Guilty as charged, but i do not accept full responsibility for the lack
: of comments. For this past SI the only two providing meaningful
: comments were Dudley, who did so with the help of some who could give
: him sighted assistance, and PeterN who was unable to contribute in any
: other way.
: The exchange Noons aimed at Alan could hardly be termed anything other
: than a swipe at Alan.
:
: In the past I have done my best to comment, and I am feeling a tad
: jaded. I admit I find it odd that from the bunch of opinionated SI
: contributors, opinionated non-contributors, and lurkers to be found in
: these photo-groups, that there aren't more who would give us more than
: the "Bruce" or "Noons" condemnation.
: I also feel that piggy-backing on an other's comments is just shear
: laziness and poor form. ...

OK, I was more or less with you, up to this point. But if we need more
comments (and we do), knocking people for how they provide their comments
seems self-defeating to me.

Not everybody in the group is retired and has time to kill. I'm sitting here
on a weekend, trying to work my way through the 340 images I took at an awards
ceremony yesterday, to try to be ready for next week, when I have to
photograph a public meeting on strategic IT planning, replete with multiple
focus groups. And a "dress rehearsal" for said meeting earlier in the week.
Then the week after, another awards ceremony (with 50 recipients); and the
week after that, a reception (with national diginitaries supposedly present)
for the late Congressman "Tip" O'Neill's 100th birthday; the Arts Council's
"River Festival" the first weekend in June; etc., etc.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not bitching. I'm damned lucky that they like my work
well enough to let me do photography on company time. But that, and the "real"
rest of my job, keep me awfully busy. Sometimes I find time to participate in
the SI, sometimes not. And even when I do, I don't always have time to provide
comments on others' work. (I take commenting seriously and try not to do a
half-assed job.) So please cut me, and others in my situation, some slack.

I'm afraid I'm not in a good mood this evening. The once-a-year "supermoon" is
socked in with clouds and cannot be photographed. It peeked through for a few
minutes, but I forgot to turn on spot metering and pretty much missed the
show. Now it seems unlikely to appear again. grumble!

Bob