Old March 2nd 13, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] Steeples comments

On 2013-03-01 15:08:58 -0800, Rob said:

On 2/03/2013 4:05 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 11:42:43 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 2/12/2013 12:02 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
Best responses to a mandate in quite a while. The SI is clearly
alive and
well. I'll try to be brief, as my alarm will go off at 4:19 AM (11
mins
earlier than usual).

Agreed.

Peter Newman Atlanta
Can't make up my mind. Colors are nice, but the picture is so busy
my eyes
won't focus. On balance, I think it's OK.

Sorry about my late response.

Your eyes not focusing are the fault of the image, not your eyes. It
was
a night shot, hand held, as I didn't want to carry a tripod on the
plane. I like the composition and will eventually do something with it.

Peter Newman Maine
Interesting, albeit busy. I'd prefer to see the entire flags, and
for it to be
less murky overall.

There was still a morning haze that I tried to depict something
beyond a
post card shot. I thought leaving a portion of the flags in would help.
You are right, it is not as strong an image as I would have liked.

As always, I appreciate comments positive or negative.

And the rest of us would appreciate comments on our submissions. There
are a couple of people who regularly post comments on the images, but
too few do so.

How do you do that as its better to understand the background to the
image.

You do that by putting your thoughts regarding any specific image into
words. Constructive criticism is not simple or easy. A fair amount of
thought has to be put into it to be able to say more than "I like that
shot", or "I don't like that one".Your comments can be based on initial
impression, impact as an art work good or bad, technical excellence, or
technical failure. An understanding of the background to the capture of
the image is irrelevant.

A technically good image is going to be good regardless of any of our
individual tastes. A good, or even great landscape might not be Tony's
particularly favorite type of image, given that he favors candids and
street photography, but he is able to see and address what he recognizes
as good, or bad in an image, and explain what he likes, or doesn't like it.

Each shot has to be able to stand or fall on its own, regardless of
circumstances of the capture.

A bad out, of focus shot is just that, and there is nothing wrong with
telling the photographer that is what you take away from the the shot,
regardless of what the shooter feels should be taken into consideration
regarding the background circumstances of the shoot leading to that bad,
out of focus image.
...and it is always nice to be able to let the photographer know what it
is you particularly like about a shot and why.

No not the feedback bit, understand that,

I want to send some details (not the exif data) with my submitted
image. is this information placed within the body of the email?

OK! Understood.
Just advise Bowser that there are notes/comments included with
something like [+Comments] in the subject line, and add those comments
to the submission email.

Savageduck