Old September 17th 15, 11:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Will need new printer

On 09/16/2015 10:08 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 18:16:16 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Regarding printing documents and letters with a printer intended for
dedicated photo printing, I have discovered that while printers such as
your R1800 and my R2880 and Eric's R3800 are quite capable when it
comes to printing letters, a less expensive to operate, general purpose
printer such as some of the all-in one printers are better suited to
that job.

I found that it was better to seperate the tasks and I leave my quality
photo printing to my R2880 with its more costly inks. My document
printing from my desktop, printing from my mobile devices (iPhone &
iPad) and more casual photo prints are left to an Epson Artisan WiFi
printer which cost me less than $100 at Staples.
The seperation of the two tasks has saved me considerably when it comes
to ink usage and expenditure.

I think the best option for letters, as long as you don't usually do
any color with them, is a laser printer. No more throwing away mostly
full, but dried up ink tanks from lack of use. And if you really do
need something in color, you always have the photo printer for
occasional work.

I have a Samsung ML-2851ND. It was $99 including toner. The toner
lasted about a year and sure did save me a lot of cash.

Though Samsung toner costs as much as the printer, the much cheaper
refilled cartridges work just fine.

One think I did not even notice when I ordered the printer was that it
was network capable...so any of the main machines in the house can
easily print to it.