Old April 21st 11, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Stefan Patric[_3_]

Default Aero-Technika question

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:55:20 +0200, Greg Faris wrote:

In article ,
says...

It's going to be a long time before a cost effective large format
digital sensor is produced that matches the quality and resolution of
aero film. Even so, it's such a limited market, the cost will still be
high. Just look at the price of digital backs for medium format today.
And they are only 36 x 48mm in size.

The case of oblique aerial photography is unique. Though it may be
[snip]

Vertical photogrammetry and remote sensing have largely moved away from
photographic means, using mostly Laser Radar (LIDAR) for preparation of
maps. The images yield nowhere near the resolution of film, but they
give other types of information, such as precise height and contour
which are difficult to interpret in vertical photographs. Other airborne
scientific applications are using digital and electronic sensors as
well, so digital has pretty much caught up with that end of aerial
photography, and users will be retiring their Zeiss RMK Top and Leitz
Wild 9X9" cameras. We can expect that digital photography will catch up
with film for oblique aerial use as well, but perhaps not quickly. Many
photographers are now saying the 22MP sensors currently available are
more than good enough for any type of general photography, and there is

That's what they said when 6MP sensors, and then 8, 10, 12, etc.
Whatever sensor is current is "good enough . . ." That is, until the
next higher resolution one comes out. ;-)

just not much impetus for higher resolutions. So I tend to agree with
your assessment that any new sensor able to compete with 4x5 film for
aerial work will likely remain VERY expensive for some time to come.

We're both wrong! At least as far as being a long time to wait for a
large format sensor. Was reading your reply and remembered this:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10...gestsensor.asp

No poop on resolution or price. Naturally. But my guess is that the
resolution isn't that high, relative to its size, due to its low light
sensitivity. And, probably, very low noise. Of course, even if you
installed only a 4x5 section of it in your Aero Technika, I'll wager, it
still won't be cost effective compared to film. Or match film's
resolution. ;-)

Stef