Old July 22nd 04, 11:11 PM
Mark Weaver

Default Digital quality (vs 35mm): Any real answers?

"Toralf" wrote in message
Hi.

I'm still wondering about how good the image quality of modern digital
cameras (especially SLRs) really is, in particular how it compares with
35mm film. I've seen many articles on the subject on the Net, but few of
them seem to give you a lot of tangible information (I want to see the
numbers, please),

I don't think there are any numbers that are going to satisfy you. First of
all, there are the variables of the film, the scanner, and the subject (are
you talking about a picture of a high-contrast B&W test target using slow,
fine grain film with a prime lens and scanned with a high-end drum scanner?
If so, that's going to yield idealized results that don't match the
practical experiences of photographers comparing film to digital). And then
there's the judgement call with respect to grain-- when you've reached a
scanning resolution where additional detail can still be extracted but the
grain of the film is obvious and objectionable--do you still count that as
useful resolution? And if not, who decides at what point the grain is
obtrusive enough that addtional resolution is of no value?

Mark