Old January 17th 09, 12:06 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Colin.D

Default The lovely ladies of Death Guild

Al Bar wrote:
Peter wrote:
"Vance" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 10:12 am, Al Bar wrote:
I left my heart in a goth club in San Francisco =)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mesolim...7612545672346/

No offense, but I live in San Francisco and you really need to take
someone out who knows where to get the great image and how to get
them. Nice snaps of your outing though.

If you take me out to the "great image" and show me how to get it,
from a philosophical standpoint, why are they not your images. Compare
with, if you show me how to see and just take me to an area.

I am not picking on words and certainly don't mean to disparage your
comment. But I think that on too many workshops, the instructor/group
leader simply tells you where to plant your tripod and what exposure
to use, as opposed to letting you do your thing and then making
suggestions. with clear explanations.

Last weekend I went to the beach with a friend, who is an excellent
photo artist. We simultaneously saw the same shot. His was far
superior to mine, simply because he shot from a slightly different
angle. In my excitement, I never realized the alignment of a sunbeam
reflection with some seaweed, until it was too late. Had he explained
the alignment before he shot, the picture would have really been his,
not mine. Yet it was a good learning experience for me.

What you have described is a prime example of education in operation.
Next time you take a photograph that experience will impact to some
extent on how you see the next subject.

Your interpretation of the image as being your friend's if you took his
advice is not so; he is educating your sense of composition. If it were
the case, then few of us would 'own' our images as we would have to
attribute them to all of our educators and mentors, right back to
primary school.

Colin D.