Old October 11th 04, 01:19 AM
Gary Hendricks

Hi

I don't think there's any photo program out there that 'automatically'
recognizes if an image is rotated or not (how does it know?). Only a
human can 'tag' the image to tell the software. If you're interested,
Adobe Photoshop Album 2 is a good software for tagging images.

Gary Hendricks
www.basic-digital-photography.com

QuienEs wrote in message . ..
My wife was given hundreds of large [around 2MB ea] old scanned family
photos - the idea being for me, the techie, to show them to her with a
ThumbsPlus 6 slide show. A large percentage of them need to be
rotated 90 degrees clockwise for proper viewing on a PC

The person who scanned them says he didn't rotate them because there
would be a loss of quality - the idea here being that if they were to
be printed it's better that they were not pre-rotated. I don't
necessarily agree with his "loss of quality" belief, but that's not
my main question.

He says that those that need rotation-on-viewing have some sort of
internal flag [put in by him] and that he believes there is a way in
ThumbsPlus to tell it to inspect that flag during a slide show and
rotate them before display. If that's true with Thumbs I cannot find
the option.

The question is how do I get to that option in Thumbs, or in any other
popular program capable of doing slide shows ?

FYI, I know how to easily copy them from the data-DVD to my hard
drive and sort the thumbnails by orientation, then apply a batch
rotate to those that need it- and that's my next step if I can't find
any hidden secrets from readers of this ng.

TIA, QE in NJ