Old October 11th 04, 04:11 AM
Paul Coen

Default ThumbsPlus and an "ORIENTATION" flag in Jpeg photos ?

I'm going to guess (and it's only a guess) that the Minolta Maxxum 7D will
as well. The original Maxxum 7 film camera can detect orientation -- the
informational LCD panel on the back of it will change the display to the
appropriate direction - horizontal, right side down, left side down (no, it
doesn't recognize upside-down . I'd be surprised if they don't extend
that to recording orientation on the digital model.

On 10-Oct-04 21:09, Michael Meissner wrote:
(Gary Hendricks) writes:

Hi

I don't think there's any photo program out there that 'automatically'
recognizes if an image is rotated or not (how does it know?). Only a
human can 'tag' the image to tell the software. If you're interested,
Adobe Photoshop Album 2 is a good software for tagging images.

Newer Canon and Nikon cameras record the orientation of the photo in the EXIF
information, and smart software can rotate the picture when downloading it. My
Olympus cameras can be told to rotate pictures during the review on the LCD,
and the camera sets the orientation flag (I believe my friend's 717 can also do
this). My download software does this autoration, and it is fairly useful. I
am hoping that my next camera will automatically set the orientation flag.