Old August 26th 04, 09:37 AM
Carrigman

I have a 5MP Canon G5. I use it mainly for uploading images to various
photographic websites. I haven't printed that much stuff on my home printer
(not a top of the line photographic printer) but those that I did I was
happy enough with. I had assumed that the optimum print size I could get was
8x6.

However.....

Just this last week I decided to get some test prints done in a photographic
lab that uses the Fuji Image Service.

I submitted images on a CD-ROM that had been tweaked (levels, curves,
sharpening etc) in Photoshop. I used a resolution of 300 dpi and requested
8x6 prints.

I was astounded at the clarity, sharpness and colour saturation. They were
brilliant!

I then got a few enlarged to 12x8 using a resolution of 200 dpi and could
see no fall off in quality.

Quite frankly, they are as good as ( if not better than) similar size
Ilfrochrome prints from 35mm Velvia slides. I know that they shouldn't be
....but they are!

I certainly intend to get a lot more such prints done (they are printed on
Fujicolor Crystal Archive paper).

It may well be that with a top of the line home printer similar results
could be achieved. Personally, I am happy to stick to the lab service.

Regards

John