Old February 25th 04, 01:36 PM
Raoul

Default Using a Deardorff Field Camera vs Sinar Studio Camera

In article , Dave
Wallis wrote:

I am thinking of buying a restored 10x8 Deardorff with 4x5 reducing
back. I am currently using a Sinar F2 10x8 camera with 4x5 reducing
back.

What are your reasons for even wanting to do this? The 8x10 Sinar is a
pretty big camera to deal with if you are using it with a 4x5 bacl (as
opposed to a straight 4x5 camera) but I can't imagine why you would
consider replacing it when you intend to only use your camera in the
studio. The Sinar is strong, precise and easy to use.

Generally speaking, when it comes to actually adjusting the camera, a
quality studio monorails (like the Sinar F2) are going to be more rigid
and easier to use than a field camera- even a quality one like a
Deardorff in good condition.

So, again, I ask: why?

Jeff

I am an artist and use the camera only for transparencies of
large paintings in the studio. I don't need to get that close so
bellows length is not a restriction. Are there any problems I will
have in using a Deardorff for this kind of wor? Precise focusing and
framing are an important factor. Apparently, there is a Wobble on
rear standard is approx. 1/2" front to rear at the top. Is this cause
for concern? I will not be using the camera in the field. And can
the wobble be tightened up?