Old August 26th 16, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Canon 5D4

In article ,

On 2016-08-26 04:19:20 +0000, android said:

In article ,
Wally wrote:

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 16:09:50 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Wally:
See
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...s/details/came
ra
s/
dsl
r/eos-5d-mark-iv

I hope the got the GPS right. In my 6D the GPS is always on, always
draining the battery, even when the camera is powered off. If I want to
use GPS I have to remove the battery between uses.

You could also turn GPS off in the menu.

The GPS is on in order to be ready on camera activation. Without network
assistance it can take 10-20 minutes for it to find the location. Good
practice is to start the GPS well, say 30 min ahead of a session and
turn it of afterwards, if you have the problem Davoud describes.

10-20 minutes to get a lock seems a little extreme. The bigger issue
with getting a GPS lock is having a clear sky with minimal vegitation
or building cover.
With the Nikon GP-1 on my D300S I get a lock within 1-4 minutes, but
mostly 1-2 minutes. The extra battery usage is minimal, so little in
fact that it has never been an issue in the 6 years I have owned the
D300S.

Well, I live in a city between hills and concrete buildings... I also
believe that you have more frequent passes of satellites further south
and I live on the 58th parallel. YMMV.

I use the Xperia M4 with GPSLogger for Android for GPS tagging, BTW.

Edit: I just went out to check and the M4 had 30 satellites over horizon
and a fix within one minute. Way better than my old E71.
--
teleportation kills