Old April 7th 09, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer

Default Source materials for 4800 dpi scanner

Paul wrote:
Most photos are happy with 600 dpi. 4800 dpi can only
give you poster size or for storing at dvd where every
bit of detail counts. But then most sources are just
1200 dpi. What sources have you encountered
which really require 4800 dpi??

Also there are many scanners with Copy feature.
When you press the Copy, does it automatically
print the material you are copying just like copiers?
What are the dpi used by copiers like Zerox?
Some printers have all in one function like the
HP All-in-One 915. What are the pros and cons
between choosing this all in one or separate
scanners/printers?

Paul

Sure, today the normal print from a mass processor is probably 4 x 6.
But in the past normal processed prints tended to be smaller. I have
many in my collections that are very small. These were not necessarily
made from small negs. In fact, two and a quarter square contact prints
were very popular at times. Such small prints require a higher pixel pitch.