Old April 9th 05, 02:37 AM
Scott W

mike regish wrote:
I'm interested in this too. When I open a 6 Mb image in PS and click

on
"image size", it comes up at 41"x27" and 72 dpi. I usually crop at a

8x10
ratio, resize to 8"x10" and resample to 300 dpi. Originally, it's

about
3000x2000 pixels.

Why does PS default to such a large dimension (in inches)? My printer

only
does 8x10, but I'd really like to get one blown up to that 41x27

sometime,
just to see what it looked like. I just resampled the original at 300

dpi
and it was something like 298 Mb and 12,000 pixels wide.

Also, I'm getting from this that the camera will only deliver a

certain
limited dpi depending on the camera's MP. How does PS resampled dpi

relate
to what the camera can deliver. Does it fake some pixels or

something?

72 dpi is there for historical reasons, the screen resolution of the
very early Mac was at 72 dpi. This is still a number that is commonly
used as a good average screen resolution. So if you are looking at
your photo on the screen at full size it will in fact be huge.

It is easy to set the dpi to anything you want without effecting the
photo, under resize uncheck the resample checkbox and then simply type
in the new dpi that you want.

Most of the time when you get a photo printed the dpi that is imbedded
in the photos is not used to make the print, the program that is doing
the printing will scale the photo to fit the page. Some programs allow
you to either print at the given dpi or to scale the photo to fit the
page.

When you get your photo printed outside at someplace like Wal Mart or
Costco they are always scale to fit the size of the paper being printed
on. So I can take the exact same photo to Costco and get two print
from it, one a 4 x 6 and the other a 12 x 18 and both of these will
print fine because the photo printer that they use will scale the photo
for me.

Scott