Old April 9th 05, 01:00 AM
ecm

Scott W wrote:
In another thread the question came up as to how large can you make a
print from a give size image, in this case from a 3.2 MP camera.

SNIP

Just to be clear I am not saying that for a given size print 150 dpi
will look better then 300 dpi, far from it. What I am saying is that
for a given digital image printing at it 150 to 200 dpi will produce

print that most people will enjoy looking at more then a smaller

print
made at a higher dpi.

SNIP

Yes, you're right, of course. But, it also depends on what the
photographer is trying to convey in the print.... the print is just a
logical continuation of the process of capturing a photographic image,
and the detail on the print is as important as the lighting, exposure,
and medium it's captured with.

I often print my vacation snapshots at 200 dpi after cropping, and it
looks great at 4X6 - it's a memory, really, it doesn't matter if it's a
bit fuzzy as long as it evokes the right emotions. If I want to hang
something on the wall, though, I want that "art photo" detail and
crispness, so that a viewer can look at it from 6 feet, 2 feet and even
6 inches and see something new each time. Take a really close look at a
good quality Ansel Adams reproduction sometime - you'll see what I'm
talking about. Mr. Adams was as much a master in the darkroom as he was
behind the camera....

ECM