Old September 9th 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Howard Lester[_3_]

Default How to use a hand light-meter?

wrote

I just feel reflected metering requires the most "subjective"
interpretation as you have to take into account how far from a matte
finish gray card your subject is. Depending on the color of the subject,
how much sky the meter is seeing and how many clouds are in the sky etc
the reading can vary wildly and ends up being a guesstimate at best.
Unless for some odd reason I can't get into aprox the same light that is
falling on the subject, I always prefer to use incident metering.

I agree that it takes more interpretation and multiple readings when using a
reflected meter. What I was getting at originally is that in some cases a
distant scene may not be in or have the same light quality as that in front
of your nose. That's why I will take readings both ways to ensure I've got
it right. At $6.50 a pop these days for 4x5 transparency film and
processing, I don't want to make a mistake.

Howard