Old December 20th 09, 09:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

Default EF 50/1.8 AF Experiment?

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II "Nifty Fifty" has a reputation for two
shortcomings, 1) softness at wide apertures (OK from f/2.8), and 2) erratic
focus under difficult conditions (low light, shallow DOF).

Many people claim that 2) is a result of the crudeness of the cheap
focussing motor and electronics in the lens, that those components are not
able to provide the required accuracy and control of motion of the focus
ring.

But I wonder if 2) is actually a result of 1) - if the AF sensors have fuzzy
images to work with, how /could/ the system nail the focus in difficult
conditions?

It would be interesting to see what happens when the AF sensors have sharper
images to work with (e.g. at f/2.8 or f/4), but my 450D refuses to AF when
the DOF preview button is pressed, so I can't test that. External aperture
perhaps?

Any ideas for how these competing hypotheses could be tested? Is there a
consequence of either hypothesis that could be disproved empirically?